Wednesday, July 28, 2010
July 28 - Today in Beatles History
Concert at the Majestic Ballroom, Birkenhead. Performance at the Cavern, with The Red River Jazzmen, and Dee Fenton and The Silhouettes.
Concert at the ABC, Great Yarmouth.
The Beatles fly to Sweden.
Concert at the Ice Hockey Stadium, Stockholm.
'Help!' single number 1, 1st week; 1st week in the ranking (UK New Musical Express chart).
BBC-TV broadcasts the programme 'Songwriters', about Lennon and McCartney.
Brian returns from London to Liverpool.
Afternoon and early evening. Various London locations. 'Mad Day'. Photographic session with Don McCullin, Ronald Fitzgibbon, Stephen Goldblatt, Tony Bramwell and Mal Evans, and spectators Mal Evans's son Gary, Yoko and Francie Schwartz.
1) Thomson House.
2) Mercury Theatre, Notting Hill. The Beatles park around the corner, near the Horbury Chapel, and then wait in the dance studio. Locations: 1) Posing with parrot near one theatre's exit; 2) on stage, 1st John and then Paul as central figure; 3) change of clothes; 4) jam session; 5) 4.30pm approx. Paul and George eat at the bar; pictures of John with silvery jacket and Ringo; 6) outside the Theatre, holding a hoarding worded 'International Theatre Club'. Then the Beatles drive to the Highgate location.
3) Highgate cementery. Locations: 1) Bench outside 79 Swain's Lane; 2) in front of house at 59 Swain's Lane.
4) 5.00-6.00pm. St Pancras Old Church and Gardens, London. Locations: 1) Flower display; 2) Bench; 3) Drinking fountain; 4) John Soane's mausoleum; 5) St Pancras Coroner's Court; 6) Hollyhocks; 7) Bench; 8) Church; 9) Railings. 'The Beatles 1962-1966' and 'The Beatles 1967-1970' gatefold sleeves photographs taken.
5) Old Street Station. 6.00pm approx. Arrival at the Old Street Station.
6) Wapping. Late afternoon. Arrival at Wapping Pier Head. Locations: 1) Corner of Wapping High Street and Sampson Street; 2) wasteland; 3) stopping concrete bed; John and Yoko go away briefly; 4) John plays dead; 5) posing on east quay; 6) posing on west quay; later, signing of autographs; 7) John laying on the ground.
7) Sunhouse at Paul's house, 7 Cavendish Avenue, St John's Woods.
Studio 3. 2.30-8.00pm. Recording: 'Polythene Pam'/'She Came In Through The Bathroom Window' (overdub onto take 39).
Studio 2 (control room only). 8.00-8.30pm. Recording: 'Polythene Pam'/'She Came In Through The Bathroom Window' (tape reduction take 39 into take 40). Producer: George Martin; Engineer: Geoff Emerick/Phil McDonald; 2nd Engineer: John Kurlander.
'Live And Let Die' LP number 17 (Billboard).
Daniel De Vore roughly mixes 'On The Rebound'; 'She's So In Love'; 'As Far As We Can Go'; 'One Way Love Affair'.
Studio 2. Show 'The Beatles At Abbey Road' (3 times).
Have a groovy vintage retro day!
- Retro Rebirth
If you liked this article then make sure you subscribe to the feed via RSS It's Free. You can also follow me on Twitter too!
Become a Retro Rebirth Fan on our Facebook Page
If you like to you at Retro Videos then take a look at our Retro Video YouTube Page
Check out the Retro Rebirth Design Catalog and see what groovy vintage retro Music & Pop Culture designs we have for sale.